Superficial

I thought our culture contains some superficial stuff, everything had to do with "face". No matter what happens, you got to make it look good. I was surprised how Italian culture has so much similar to our in this topic.

My MIL always made us work so hard (sometimes was totally wasting time and energy) just to make her family look good. I can tell her way of doing things and thinking did influence her family members.

Her youngest son, my BIL was getting married last week. The wedding was in Green Bay, WI. My son had been sick with high fever for a week. Even his doctor said he was not suitable for traveling. But my MIL insisted that my son is one of important members and he had to been there. It seemed that was not worse enough, I found out that I had stress fracture in my right foot and my podiatric put the cast on it. How could I carry a sick baby and walk around in my crippled foot? Those did not matter to her. She need the show. There we went.

I was surprised to find out how small the town was. Nowhere could seem like a town. It took my husband 30 minutes drive just to find donut and bagel. No store sells both of these things. He had to go different places to get it. Coffee and donut were from Krispy Kreme. They tasted awful. Coffee was so blank and donut tasted like sugar clog. Well, the bagel looked like just came out of refrigerator, cold and hard. We all realized that we made a big mistake. We should have gone to the breakfast place in hotel. I thought we could have saved time by picking up some donuts and bagels.

The wedding food was the worst so far I have ever had. Rehearsal night dinner was in a place looked like sports bar. Outside looked like a barn, and inside was so dark. The first thing you found was desert in the table already?!! Well, at least we got the choice to choose three different entries. I had fish. But it was dry and did not taste fresh. The waitresses could not wait for you to finish. They kept coming back for picking up the plates. I thought the reception dinner would be better than this one. Boy, what a big mistake. Guess what we had? A scoop of mesh potato, two pieces of chicken and steamed frozen Vega. Goodness, I would eat healthier and better than this in my own lunch time. Is it what my MIL called "face" after they dragged all relatives from Chicago to this place? I know I have been b*itching. Wedding should be all about wedding couple. But I just don't get the way they did this. We spent almost $600 for hotel, food, clothes and gasoline, etc. If I were bride, I would rather have the cash and use it as a house down payment instead of wasting in these superficial things. I don't get it...

The whole show ended up my baby had fever back today. My MIL loves my baby. But I really question whether this is called love when you tried to put on the show and not care about what it might affect my baby's health.

Comments

Popular Posts